Every year, my family does an Advent Calendar. We have a little “elf” with a list of numbered pockets below him where each day there is a new activity for our family to do together. December is a great opportunity to get your family together and just enjoy going out and doing stuff together. Some things require a little money, most things just require time set aside. You can do some things at home and you can do some things out on the town. It just depends on what you are willing (or able) to invest in your family.
- Pack up the car… go see Christmas lights.
- Open one gift under the Christmas tree.
- Watch a Christmas special/movie. (Charlie brown Christmas, It’s a wonderful life, A Christmas carol, a Christmas story, etc)
- Read the Christmas story together. (Luke Ch. 2 is a good start)
- Light the advent wreath. (Subscribe for my ADVENT PLAN Resource)
- Go see a living nativity.
- Rent the Nutcracker and watch as a family.
- Go buy a gingerbread house and put together as a family.
- Have a present wrapping night.
- Go see Santa at the mall.
- Create and Write home-made Christmas cards
- Make a snowman craft out of colored foam/scrapbooking material.
- Sing Christmas carols at home. Invite a musician friend over and sing together.
- Throw a Christmas party.
- Do a Christmas dance night.
- Go get your Christmas tree.
- Go pick up a snow angels from grocery store. (Snow angels is a program at many stores where you can pick a child’s name off of a Christmas tree in the store, and buy that child presents for Christmas. These are usually children in need, orphans, or kids whose parents are incarcerated or out of work)
- Put together a care package and go give to someone in need.
- Visit an elderly home, and go sing Christmas carols.
- Plan a movie night, go out and see the latest Christmas blockbuster. (Star Wars anyone?)
- Go to a Christmas eve candlelight service. (My church, Experience Community in Murfreesboro has one on December 16th at 6:00pm)
- Plan a meal for someone you know and take it to them.
- Invite a new acquaintance over for dinner.
- Put lights out in your yard, decorate the house for Christmas.
Go make yourself an advent calendar, or pick one up at your local hobby store. Whatever you do, make this season a special time to spend with your family. It’s good for the soul.
Do you have any other ideas that people might enjoy? List them in the comment section. I’d love to offer this as a great resource help for many people looking for ideas this Advent Season.